Tetra4D Reviewer Performance on Virtual Machine

Hello,

Is anyone using Tetra4D Reviewer on a virtual machine? Most of our workforce is virtualized, except Engineering. We are trying to get more Engineers on virtual desktops, but we are struggling with 4D Reviewer performance within the virtual machine. We’ve even tried using 4D Reviewer on virtual machines with nvidia GRID cards and we still have poor performance. The larger the file the worse it gets. And by a larger file I mean only 170MB compared to a few MB. The few MB files work better. Tetra4D Reviewer will work fine with these same files on a 15+ yr old physical laptop with integrated graphics. Just hoping someone has some suggestions on how to improve the performance on a virtual machine.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Could the issue lie in the GPU drivers ? This is not a common graphic card and virtual machines tend to be slow in general.

Please also make sure that the hardware acceleration is activated on the Tetra4D Reviewer side (Workspace Preferences).

Tetra4D Support Team

Hello,

Thanks for the tip, we have tried enabling the hardware acceleration option in the past. I think the primary issue with this is that Tetra does not utilize the graphics card. From what I remember in past tests is that it only uses CPU not GPU. In fact it is limited to 1/2 the total Ghz amount of what you have installed. But there is also the fact that VMs are a bit slower too.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your answer. We confirm that Tetra4D Reviewer does use the GPU as intended so it’s probably due to the VM system / configuration.

Tetra4D Support Team